Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Devil's in the Details

Our final day in Sedona started off well. The weather finally broke and there was hardly a cloud in the sky. We decided to begin with a solid breakfast at a place we had passed by in town a few times while driving around. It struck us as a place we needed to go because it billed itself as the home of "101 omelets". It's called the Coffee Pot and it is in the older, more residential area of Sedona as compared to where we spent most of our time. But it was definitely a good choice. I will post some video a little later where I report from outside the restaruant.


Any way, the restaraunt is located very near the coffee pot rock formation. You can see from the picture above that the rightmost part of the formation kind of looks like a perculating coffee pot. I don't know the whole history behind how the rock formations got their names, but if you ever go to Sedona, you will quickly learn that almost every rock formation area has at least one name, sometimes more.

After we had our fill, we ventured out to a relatively mild trail called "Devil's Bridge" . It's about a mile and a half one way trail that ends up at a natural rock bridge that was formed by an arching rock. You can actually walk over the rock bridge if you make it all the way to the top, which we didn't. In the picture below, this is the start of the trail, and the end is somewhere on the side of that rock formation in the background. It's not all the way at the top, but it is about 800 feet higher than the starting point.


As I mentioned though, we didn't make it all the way up the trail. The first half of the trail was only a mild incline, fairly easy to walk. It was the second half of the rail where the climb became quite severe. We were close enough to hear the poeple ahead of us who had made it to the bridge, but we couldn't see them as the view was obscured by dense trees and brush. I did turn around and look back down the hill at some point in the climb and I was able to capture the image below of the surrounding area.


On our way back down the trail, we stopped off to do what everyone should do when they are in Sedona, stack rocks and make a wish. I don't know the story behind this, but a friend of mine who went to Sedona before I did told me I needed to do this, so I did. I meant to research it a little and find out why I needed to do it, but I ran out of time. I will do that in the next few weeks and I will blog about it so everyone knows the story. For now though, the picture below is of the rock stack that I created while taking a break from hiking the Devil's Bridge trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment